In Minnesota firearms are NOT required to be registered*!
In Minnesota private sales of firearms are allowed and do not require an FFL
We strongly recommend you record the sale. Although there is no universal form, we developed a form for you for free.
Get the form here



The only firearms that need an FFL transfer in a private sale of a firearm from a seller in Minnesota to a buyer in Minnesota
are "assault style" long guns and firearms that require an National Firearms Act (NFA tax stamp*)
(Items with *  these firearms do need to be registered in Minnesota)
If one party lives outside the State of Minnesota, then the sale must be conducted by FFL licensor. 
The seller may deliver the firearm directly to the receving FFL dealer. The buyer must purchase this firearm from an FFL dealer. 
List of FFL dealers


The safest manner to do any transfere is to go to a gun dealer/store/ FFL license holder and do a formal legal transfere – for a fee to the dealer.

The use of the FFL transfere will remove possible criminal and civil liabilities from you.
If the firearm to be sold is a handgun of any kind OR a semi-automatic (assault type weapon)
the buyer must be at least 21 years old (18 for assault style weapon). Again check their ID. to be sure.
**The sale should be recorded in some manner to protect yourself in case the gun is used in a crime.
Did you want to buy a gun from someone in who lives (resident) in another state? Or, to sell a firearm to someone who lives (resident) in another state?
This is across state lines and as such the sale can be made if both the seller and the buyer are legally able to own it in their respective states.
However, the purchaser must acquire the firearm from an FFL licensed dealer, and complete and pass, the appropriate paperwork and background check.
The above process is the same if you are buying a firearm from a dealer or pawn shop, etc that is located in another state.
Watch out on a sale to someone in another state. If you send a firearm that is prohibited in that state. Your firearm can be confiscated as contraband,
no sale will occur, and you could be charged with attempting to circumvent that state’s laws – probably a Felony!
If you are not sure of another state’s laws, call a reputable dealer in that state and ask – ask before conducting the sale.
#1. Federal Laws
Firearms which are NFA (National Firearms Act of 1934 and reaffirmed as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968 ) these restricted weapons cannot be privately sold or traded.
The restricted firearms are;
Rifles with barrels under 16” and/or have an overall length of under 26” W/Stocks fully extended.
Shotguns with barrels under 18” and/or have an overall length of under 26” W/stocks fully extended and is only smooth bore.
Fully –Automatic firearms.
Other items: like suppressors, explosive devices.
These items ALL Require ATF (Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms) approval for a sale and the purchase of a $200 tax stamp
In MN; the MN BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) must also approve the sale.
Final acquision of the firearm is through an FFL who is specially licensed for NFA weapons sales.
#2. State of MN Laws:
The minimum age in order to own or possess is 18:

Long guns, which are rifles, shotguns
Handguns of all types, sizes. Must be at least 21 years old.
Semi-automatic assault type weapons, Must be at least 18 years old.